Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Beating a Dead Horse

I am still thinking about this whole "it isn't about the weight thing", probably because of the comment on the last post (which is lovely and thank you). I think however, it is important to me that it is not about the weight loss because of the following thing. Yes, I am completely re-hashing already covered ground, I am a lawyer and this is what I do in my regular life. Ultimately, I don't think it can be about the weight loss because that is not enough motivation (for me) to maintain the loss. More and more I am thinking about maintainance as a long term goal and the more I think about it, the less it can be about what I weigh on the scale. I do not go to the gym every day during the week at the horrific hour of 5 am because all I can think about is losing weight, I go because I feel better when I walk out of there at 6:30 in the morning. I am not tense, my body is awake enough to go to work, and I feel more focused. I don't watch what I eat just because I am trying to lose weight, when I eat crap I feel like crap. That is what it has to be about long term, because at 60 I don't want to be obsessed about what I weigh, I want to be able to hike through the alps or wander around Paris all day without my body completely betraying me. Heck, I just want to reach 60 without getting diabetes or having a heart attack. So, yeah I am beating a dead horse on this issue, but trust me, in the long run it cannot be about the weight, it has to be about the life.

1 comment:

Allan said...

Attorneys are fabulous. What's the quote ? "First we kill all the attorneys." Its not about the weight or the diet. Its about your peace of mind. Your post, while not beating a dead horse is known as a circle jerk. Your qulaity of life is your diet. While its not a day to dy, ounce to ounce plan anymore because of your success, it is part of your life. It always will be. You get up to go to the gym because you feel better later, of course, but the metabolism boost is needed to keep you in a healthy state. Endorphin pumping aside, exercise burns fat and lets you eat much more than you would be able to sitting arround doing lawyer things. For the overweight, for the genetic mutants that we are, maintenance and a diet are synonymous, not opposites. The gym and a rational diet are breathing and sleeping to you. They are not choices, they are life sustaining activities for your daily survival. That said, enjoy the gym, mix up with some pilates, kick-boxing or lift some weights next to some hot guy or girl and show them up. Then go out, by a pretty pair of shoes and dance.... It works, your plan is inspiration and a success, and don't rationalize every freakin thing. Be a former fat-girl when you think diet, not a member of the bar..