Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Head Trip

I was reminded again of the very wierd head games that losing weight can cause even in a reasonably sane person. Today is Secretaries Day (which disturbingly has been retitled "Administrative Professionals Day" but I'm not going there) and I have to go to lunch with my staff. I have a feeling that food will be a problem at this event (and not just because they are having a chocolate fountain). Therefore, I knew I needed to do some serious cardio to at least break even today. I did not want to run today, I in fact came up with a whole series of other options. I did however make a deal with myself, if I got to the gym and it was cooler than yesterday then I would run. So, since it was much cooler in the cardio section than the day before, I forced myself onto the treadmill and started running. The first 30 minutes of running were no fun at all but I kept going and at that point it became a reasonably zen experience and I kept going until I hit the 4 mile mark at 40 minutes. The rest of the workout was pretty decent but at least I managed a good run. It is disturbing how that would have not happened if I had listened to what my brain was telling me. So, right now I feel pretty decent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I also notice that some of my best workouts or runs are the ones where I am literally dragging myself to the gym kicking and screaming and expecting the worst - most of the time because my expectations are so low for the experience I leave feeling a high at how wonderful I feel.
-Diana