Friday, November 14, 2008

Never pleasant

The thing about working out is that it is never entirely pleasant. Well, at least not for me. This may be partly due to the early hour at which I chose to work out, and I freely admit to that fact. I do not know anyone who likes getting out of bed at 4:20 in the morning to go to the gym and if such people exist I don't really want to meet them. If I am up much past 9:30 p.m. the night before an early morning workout, I invariably feel really sluggish in the morning. So, hauling myself to the gym is never a pleasant feeling in the morning. However, I go anyway because I know certain facts about myself and about how working out makes me feel in the long run. I know that if I work out in the morning I will have more energy for the rest of the day. I know that if I don't work out in the morning I probably won't work out at all. I know that I need to exercise to prevent myself from getting rundown and sick. I know that the only way I can be sane in the high-stress pressure cooker job that I have is to exercise frequently. So, I go to the gym six days a week and work out for at least 45 minutes at a time. This week has been a good example of working out for stress relief purposes. I have been a crazy person this week with imploding work problems and unexpected personal stuff happening simultaneously. I made it through all of it without eating my weight in chocolate only because of the working out and the energy I could release by running everyday. I don't run fast and I am only running for 20 minutes right now but this week it made a big difference. I still have to workout tomorrow morning and I probably won't run because my legs are really tired but it is the weekend and I don't need to release any more stress energy. This weekend I am going to cook a lot and clean my apartment out and get back to normal life after this hellish week. I am going to organize my pantry and take stock of how I am doing in terms of a balanced diet and then I will be ready to get back in the gym next week and run slightly faster and longer than I did this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Just... thank you...