Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Today, tomorrow, and the next day

I'm really not good at the frequent posting thing right now. I think I am managing to post once a month, so I cannot imagine anyone is reading anymore, however this is more for my own edification than anything else so I shall now ramble on at length about nothing in particular (I am a lawyer after all it is what I do). I am still working out every morning during the week for between an hour and an hour and twenty minutes. I am working on increasing my intenstity level and that means much as I hate it, I am going to have to start running again everyday. Not today though because I am exhausted, I was paged at 2 am in the morning yesterday by the police department who had an urgent legal question and then I never really got back to sleep again. For the record, I am not certain I give out the best legal advice at 2 am in the morning but I tried my best. Of course, then I got up a little before five am and so I estimate I got maybe 5 hours of sleep at most last night. I do not enjoy working out on five hours of sleep, my body is too tired to really do anything useful or productive. On the plus side, I still worked out which several years ago I would never have done. Also, I have begun to notice an interesting phenomenon as I work out. I may not be losing very much weight right now but I am way better shape than I used to be in the past. Now, it is no big deal to work out for 30 minutes on the eliptical and then run for 20 minutes on the treadmill or use the stair master. I don't pant going up and down stairs anymore and I definatively have leg muscles which is strange for me. Am I struggling with the whole weightloss thing right now, oh yes, you bet your sweet bippy I am having problems with it. That however, does not mean that I stop trying to lose weight. Also, I am forced to admit other than indiscretions with food at work, my diet is pretty different. I only drink soy milk, diet soda (yeah we could have a discussion about asparatame and its problems but I grew up on diet coke and right now I need it in my diet for my own sanity), water, and coffee (mostly on weekends). I have soy milk in my bowl of cereal in the morning and I now eat breakfast everyday. Lunch is pretty much lean cuisine right now, because it is easy and low calorie. Dinner, well I have salads sometime or cereal if I am completely exhausted or some kind of dish with rice and protien in it. Oh yes, I only have brown rice in my house no more white rice. Only whole wheat pasta, minimal amounts of bread, and I realized the other day that I have not had cheese in my house in months. Perfection, no, better than in past years, yes. Admittedly, I still struggle with having a lot of my waking hours consumed with thoughts about food and eating but I am working on it. I read someone at one point, can't remember who, that said something like (don't you love my specificity) "I work every day and every year on eating better, I eat better now than I did last year and I will eat better today than I did yesterday." That I think is what I am aiming for here, that I eat healthier today than I did yesterday, that I work out harder and more effectively today than I did yesterday, and ultimately I am physically and emotionally healthier today, tomorrow, and in the future than I was last year, yesterday or the day before. In the end, everything else is just fluff.

No comments: