Sunday, September 25, 2005

Saying Thank You

I was thinking the other day about how hard it is to respond to compliments (at least for me) when it comes to weightloss. After the lunch on friday, my coworkers were telling me how much weight I have lost and teasing me because I don't eat desert. Mostly, they were commenting on how much skinnier I look now than even a few months ago. I never quite know how to respond to such things, probably because to me there has not been much change. Yes, things fit better now, but I still see the extra rolls of fat and the tummy which just is not willing to go away for right now. So, I say thank you but I hem and haw about it all the same, you know, the thank you but I have lots more weight to lose response. Now, there are places that I see change, my fitness level has shot way up in the last two months, my cool down pace on the treadmill is 4.1 mph which is faster than I used to be able to run. I lift heavier weights and I get out of breath less easily. However, I still see room for change and I would really like to stop hovering around 156 lbs. Then again, hovering around 156 is better than the weight I used to hover around which was 242 lbs. Ultimately, I think I have to forgive myself for the damage that my overeating and obesity did to my body before I will really be able to say thank you to the people who tell me that I look really good. I am not there but I am trying to get there.

1 comment:

Soul Searching said...

Wow, congrats on the loss!!

A few years ago I realized how self-defeating it was to not accept compliments. I watched a friend of mine as inspiration, and every time someone said something nice she just had a polite, kind "Thank you" in response. She didn't get nervous or stutter out someting ridiculous like I normally would. Just Thank you. Since then I've taken to not only saying thank you with a sincere smile, but also making sure that I dish out the compliments myself. If I see someone in the elevator at work with cute shoes I tell them...and they eat it up!

Good luck! It takes a little practice :) I'm bookmarking you for inspiration.