Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

I am not much in the way of New Year's Resolutions, they just don't stick like they should for the most part. I really started working out again in a serious way in the end of September for no other reason than I decided it was time to start getting my life back in balance. Three months later what I am certain about is this: it is not about the resolution, it is about the daily grind. So, I get up and go to the gym every morning and putting one foot in front of the other on the treadmill. It is about watching what I eat as much as possible, not perfection but documenting what I put in my mouth every single day. It is not about perfect, it is about better than yesterday and consistency. So, this year that is what I am striving for, consistency. Some days are easier than others but I just keep going as much as possible. So, tomorrow I will be up at 4:30 in the morning running on the treadmill just like I was today and like I will be on Friday and next week. If I feel really motivated, I will run 3.5 miles, if not I will run for 30 minutes like I always do during the week. It is like the quote I keep running across in the blogosphere, "Losing weight is hard. Gaining weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Pick your hard." I spent about a year and a half slacking off and gaining weight but now I am picking my hard and that means a lot of exercise and writing down what I eat everyday. I will never really be able to stop any of that because of how my body functions and how screwed up my metabolism is and has been since I was a kid. So, I run and I avoid sugar and exercise circles around my skinny friends because it is what I have to do and how I am choosing to live. In the end, that choice which I make everyday is a lot more powerful than any New Year's Resolution could ever be in my life.

No comments: