Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Crossing the threshold

I got on the scale this morning and it spit back an amazing number at me, 163.6 lbs. This means that I have officially crossed over from being obese to simply being overweight, hey it only took 77 lbs to cross that threshold. We could of course argue with the problems surrounding BMI measurements but frankly even with its flaws it makes a useful measuring device. I can also look at it from anothe angle, I started with a BMI of 44.3 (which I am sure qualified as morbidly obese though I haven't looked it up) and I now have a BMI of 29.9 which is a huge change. This was a big mile marker for me in my weight loss journey and I now am looking forward to the next big marker which is 27.6 lbs away and that is when I cross from being overweight into normal territory. I am making the assumption that I should be closing in on that mark by the end of December. However, it is nice to finally be able to honestly say that I am just overweight and not obese any more. I always wish that I could have gotten to this place earlier in my life but I suppose you end up where you are supposed to be when you are ready and not before. Anyway, I am off to get some other things accomplished in my day, I have already worked out so that is out of the way. 50 minutes of running, 60 of walking, and weights for the day. It is really hot so I felt rather sluggish while I was working out but at least it is finished for the day. So, I am now going to do everything else that I need to get done today.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Like many others you have been an inspiration to me too. I also have 120 lbs to lose and have been walking somewhere between 1.5 and 5 miles everyday since the beginning of August. I have lost 5 lbs but food when I am stressed is a major issue still. How successful were you in the beginning of your journey?

betsy said...

What a great accomplishment, congratulations! You are such and inspiration to me!