Sunday, September 12, 2004

So not the fault of my parents

I hate to rant, but I have been watching a lot of early morning tv while I work out which claims that childhood obesity is entirely the fault of the parents. Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit, but it is my blog and I get to rant occasionally and overstate my case. Now, I realize there are families where kids grow up around tons of junk food but that isn't how I grew up. In fact, my parents did everything you are supposed to do, healthy snacks, family meals, little or no junk food around, and they encouraged exercise. I just didn't want to do it, I hated exercise and while I am not against healthy food, I really always liked anything with sugar in it. So, I get annoyed at the idea that my weight problems were all the fault of my upbringing and childhood lifestyle. I only really got control when I decided that this was something I had created and therefore within my power to alter. I control what I put into my mouth, is it a cookie or is it an apple, do I take the stairs or the elevator, you get the picture, I make these decisions. So, don't tell me my parents did something wrong, tell me I have a choice to make about how I want to live my life and then let me make the choice. My weight, my business, you don't get to attack the choice I make because it is my choice right or wrong. I am sick of judgement from people about how each individual lives their life, because we should all be free to make our own choices and decisions. So, don't tell me my parents made me fat, I made myself fat, I accept responsiblity for who I am and who I am becoming for the rest of my life. My parents did everything right, they loved me, told me I was brilliant, supported me, and let me fall flat on my face occasionally so that I would learn how to get back up and become stronger in the process. My parents gave me all the tools I needed, and it up to me to use them to become who I want and need to be in this life. Okay, rant officially concluded, you may all return to your regularly scheduled programing now.

No comments: