Saturday, September 18, 2004

Why do you care?

So, I think it is obvious if you look at the comments that I removed one yesterday. It was mean, rather obnoxious, attacked me and my weight and was not anything I thought anybody else should be forced to read. I have been thinking about whether or not I was going to even mention it, to even give the person who wrote it the attention that they were apparently seeking. It certainly is not the first time I have been called a name upon the basis of my weight and just for no other reason, and it was bound to happen sooner or later given the public nature of this forum. I was however stuck with one ongoing question that I posed in the title of this post, why do you care? People look at overweight people and are appalled and feel the need to spew venom and I cannot figure out why this is the case. My weight does not hurt anyone else, aesthetically maybe it used to be unpleasing to the eye but it does not really hurt anybody. I understand why my immediate friends and family cared, because the more obese I was, the greater my risk of dying young and missing out on my life. However, that doesn't impinge on people who do not know me, especially people who feel the need to attack me on the internet who have never even seen a picture of what I look like on a daily basis. Why as a culture do we hate obese people so much? Do we see it as a sign of weakness and therefore an easy target, or is hate simply easier to muster than sympathy and understanding. I do not know, and it makes me sad at times, it made me sad yesterday when I read that comment and I did not want to let anybody else feel that way unless it was necessary and frankly it wasn't. I have lived with the nasty looks and comments for long enough to know how they sting and hurt. Frankly, the only redeeming value of this particular remark was the realization that the person had no idea what he was talking about in regards to my life, for once they couldn't hurt me or make me cry because what he said was so manifestly untrue in regards to my appearance and my world. That my friends is a true victory and the one thing I don't think the poster would have expected from the nastiness being spewed forth on to my personal blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kat: I do read the posts and I wondered what that guy said that could have been so offensive to make the "administrator" remove it. The thing is, there are people like "him" all over the place. He doesn't care what spews from his itty bitty brain. He probably picks on people for all kinds of reasons, be it color, race, religion, disability, whatever. And it's because he doesn't like himself very much. I am so proud of you for what you said. YOu have so much going for you and he only WISHES he was the one leaving for destinations unknown so he could work and live out his dream. But alas, it is you, you, you! I've said it before and I'll say it again girlfriend...YOU GO GIRL! You are so much better than that. Raise your glasses up girls...Kat is in da hizouze!! (clink clink) Booooya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kithandra - don't worry about unkind bastards who post nasty little comments. What they write says more about their own inadequacies and insecurities than anything. Your unkind poster most likely suffers from erectile disfunction or small penis syndrome. He should try picking on someone his own size: I am always available if he wants to put his money where his mouth is, but I have a feeling he is a cowardly little shit and prefers to hide in the anonymity of the net. You are doing a great job: keep up your hard work - you are an inspiration to us all.