Sunday, November 07, 2004

Positive thinking

My friends and I were having this really interesting conversation yesterday, and for the record we had it way before we ended up at a bar talking about football. Anyway, I will spare you the in-depth analysis of college football rankings and move right along to the earlier conversation which occurred on the way back from frisbee (which by the way I still suck at in case you were wondering). Anyway, our conversation was about how people can become so focused on work and making money that they miss the truly great opportunities around them to enjoy their lives, like going out with friends or visiting foreign countries or just hiking around the countryside. It got me to thinking, how many of us who are losing weight do the same thing? We get caught up in where we are at the moment, the daily struggles if you will and forget to pause and really enjoy where we are and how far (hopefully) we have come in the journey. I know I get bogged down in where I would like to be or in guilt that I ate too much and I forget to appreciate the health I have gained or the body that I am currently living in at this precise moment in time. Admittedly it is not a perfect body but it takes me where I want to go now, upstairs without getting out of breath, up and over waterfalls, through jungle thickets, across plains of tall waving grass, swimming in the ocean, and around work each and every day. I need to learn to enjoy that fact and be grateful for it, something for me to work on today.

1 comment:

DeAnn said...

I completely agree -- both about the work thing AND the weight-loss thing. It needs to add to our life, not take away from it. Otherwise, we need to find another way to make money or get fit.