Monday, October 10, 2005

The Better Part of Valor

I have not been feeling 100 percent for the past couple of days. So, this morning I ran at 6.3 mph rather than 6.4 mph. My body still felt off, but it became clear the minute I started running that 6.4 mph was just not going to happen today. I added on a 10 minute brisk walk on the treadmill at the end of my run with some mild hills and a five minute cooldown. That translated to approximately 85 extra calories burned. Plus, I was still at work by 7:15 am so it is not like it cut into my working time by very much. I still did not really put very much effort into my workout today because of how I feel. However, I go on the theory that it is okay to have really hard days and really slack days along the way. The most important part is that I get to the gym everyday and do something good for my body. I work in a really sedentary profession and I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen not moving so I need to get in concious movement elsewhere in my day. So, I worry about working out, but not how hard I work out. In the end, if I work out really well when I am not feeling good, all I will accomplish is making myself sick and then not being able to workout at all for awhile and that would be bad in my world. Then again, I just did an hour and thirty minutes of cardio, so my version of not working out is really skewed as compared to normal sane people. Today was an easy day though, I swear, and if I don't feel better tomorrow I will take it easy then too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog the other day by doing a search for blogs about dieting. I am 25, a legal secretary, and for the first time in my life I am trying to eat healthy and get into shape. I woke up a few weeks ago and suddenly realized what I had done to myself and who I had become. Three weeks ago I weighed about 224 (I think) and I have since made it down to about 211.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that you are such an inspiration to me and it has helped me so much to see that someone else has been able to do this and that I am not alone. I have gone back to the beginning of this blog and started from there, and I am amazed at your self-control and willpower, not to mention your determination to be healthy. It makes me envious and happy inside to read about you going from an 18 to a 16 and dying to fit into a 14, etc. I can so relate to that and I am so hopeful that someday that will be me. I also find it helpful to see what your eating plan was, and I feel relieved to see that I eat a lot like you do/did.

Thanks for all your work that you have done and it has really served a purpose for me. You are an inspiration. (Know, if only I had an ex-marine brother to be my personal trainer, that would help) :) - But, I am going to try climbing some stadium stairs this weekend because that seemed so great for you!

-Diana (brandonsmom_02@yahoo.com)

If you ever get the chance, if you are even interested, I would love to know how you actually started this whole thing...i.e. how much walking/running you started with and how you worked your way up. Thanks