Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Ice cream

I've always loved ice cream, the smooth consistency and slight headache from eating it too fast. I was addicted to the taste and the way it made me feel as I attacked a defenseless pint with my trusty spoon bent from too many impacts with frozen ice cream. I especially like ice cream with chocolate chips in it and swirls of caramel or fudge. Here is the thing, I was at the gym this morningn and came to the stunning realization as I was changing to go shower that I cannot remember the last time I had any ice cream. I had sorbet at a party a month ago but I don't think I have eating ice cream since early January or late December. I used to devour pints of ice cream in a single sitting and then hide the empty container from my parents or roommates. I even liked the combination of potato chips and ice cream which is rather strange. Over the last five months I haven't missed it which is stunning especially since ice cream used to be my comfort food of choice. Bad day, have a pint of ice cream, horrible test have some ice cream, bored have some more ice cream and so on and so forth. Now I savor bags of lo-cal popcorn and chocolate light soy milk for desert. Maybe I don't love ice cream the way I thought I did five months ago, maybe I am finally breaking my several decade long addiction to sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Addiction it is, Kat, because refined sugar is not food. But I don't think potato chips and ice cream is so odd. I used to pour Cap'n Crunch cereal onto a bowl of ice cream. It was like eating an enormous ice cream cone. Those days are not entirely gone but they don't happen often. I'm more likely to break up my favourite muffin into a bowl and ladle a complementary yogurt flavour onto it. Heavenly.