Sunday, January 02, 2005

A little help and a small plea

I will say initially that I did not make it to the gym because I had to work through lunch. In a feat of spectacular planning I forgot lunch and now will not have time to go out and get anything until after I go to court at 2 p.m. However, all of this is really irrelevant to what I meant to write about here. I have been putting off writing about this topic but I thought I should mention it, and that is the devastation of the recent tsunami throught the part of the world that I live in right now. I should say that the island I live on was not in anyway touched by the tsunami but we are very aware of the damage nonethless. Every year I have friends here who travel to Indonesia, Thailand, India and beyond. What I know for sure is this, sad but true we would have been forewarned if the tsunami had been headed our way and that would probably have made a difference. However, I also know this, it doesn't matter now what could have been done to prevent this tragedy but what we can do to help the people who have survived to rebuild and repair the devastation. Later, there will be time to repair and create early warning systems and hopefully prevent a tragedy of this scale from happening again, right now aid is more important. I will be donating money, as will my friends. I am certain we will not be alone in that regard. My small part, you will find links shortly to a few organizations that I know are helping assist the injured and bury the dead in the links section of this blog. It isn't enough, but for right now it is the best that I know how to do for this part of the world that I am so very fond of already.

No comments: