Monday, January 12, 2009

Lucky number 600

I believe this is my 600th post which is rather frightening in away, I guess I have been at this for a long time. My ankle has been acting up for several days now, well actually it is more my heel but you get the point. It was sore enough that I did not run last Friday and today was the first day I tried jogging again. My ankle ended up not being the problem, I just felt tired and like I had not run in a long time rather than just four days. Today, I am trying to eat more than I did yesterday including more protein in the hopes that it will help with my jog tomorrow morning. I am seeing how my ankle/heel feels and will stop running if it begins to seriously hurt again since an injury would mess up my workouts completely. In other news, I was thinking today about how I can replace sugar and white flour (ie bread and pasta) with other food that I love in my diet. If I eat sugar, I crave it immediately and it takes about a week to detox myself from it, the same is true of bread and pasta. However, there are foods I really love such as hummus (by the way sun dried tomato hummus is a huge success) and blueberry smoothies (made with splenda) which give me no ill effects whatsoever. So, I am trying to think of them as treats as opposed to sugary substances in my diet and I can eat them a lot provided they fit in my daily calorie budget. Frankly, it is all about choices and recognizing what I can eat and be happy with and what will cause my diet to spin out of control immediately. So, I have given up starbucks almost entirely and now I buy flavored coffee creamers that I like and make coffee at home instead. Less calories (around 140 usually as opposed to 500+) and a lower cost overall which is good news in this economy. It is all about balancing and smart choices in my life which I am really trying to make everyday.

No comments: