Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday Menu

I go back to work tomorrow morning and that meant I once again spent all of today cooking food for the week. I once again was reminded of how much I love the editors of Cook's Illustrated and their book of light recipes which make it really easy for me to cook things that I love and can eat without calorie fears. This week I made a huge pot of spicy black bean soup which is chock full of veggies and only 350 calories for 1.5 cups (which is plenty for dinner). So tasty. I also made my standard food supplies, sweet potato fries and roasted chicken along with hummus. This is what no one really mentions about healthy eating, it takes a lot of work to prep and prepare everything especially if you make everything from scratch as I prefer to do most of the time. Still, my lunch for tomorrow is packed with carrots, hummus, roast chicken, yogurt, a pear, and a banana, which works out to lunch and two snacks as well. I am well set for the week but I have no idea where my Sunday really went because I spent so much of it in the kitchen. The benefit of course is that I don't have to do much cooking over the course of the week because I can just pull the soup out of the fridge and warm it up and everything is prepared for me to pack for lunch all week. So, tomorrow it is back to the daily grind although it does not change that much for me because I have been getting up early every day anyways. So the week's menu is as follows. Roasted red pepper hummus Roasted sweet potatoes Carrots Spicy Black Bean Soup Peanut Butter Pumpkin Soup Oatmeal with Splenda and Cinnamon Roast Chicken Thighs Pears Bananas Blueberry smoothies Smoked Salmon Yogurt Cheese Hot Pepper Jelly Yogurt Cheese Light Yoplait Yogurt

No comments: