Thursday, July 22, 2004

Things that make you go "hmm"

An interesting thought occurred to me as I was climbing up and down stadium stairs this morning. My left ankle has been fine for months. Now, why is this interesting you ask (well unless you are related to me and already know the answer), well I used to have a really weak left ankle. Not a good thing to have if you like wearing heels as much as I do on a regular basis. When I was in highschool (I think I was 15 or 16) I fell down a flight of stairs in Oxford, England. How you ask? I have no real idea which seems to be the general theme of all my accidents, I was on a summer program and I was walking slowly down a flight of stairs, no really I am being serious here. Next think I was really aware of, I had flipped over myself, the only time I have ever managed anything resembling a cartwheel, and was at the bottom of the stairs. I feel it is important to note for the record that I was wearing tennis shoes at the time and had navigated these stairs numerous times prior to my accident without problems. I actually got applause for the sheer brilliance of the way I managed to fall on my rear from the assembled throng of other students. Anyway, I twisted my ankle and then walked on it while in England and France and my left ankle has been a problem ever since. The day before my high school graduation I twisted it again and was on crutches for both the ceremony and the after party which frankly was sort of fun because I had my friends bringing me food and drinks at the party. In retrospect I was very excited about people brining me food, hmm that might have been an indication of my eating problem right there. My ankle bothered me on and off through college and my post graduate work and I even own a fancy ankle brace (which is somewhere in my house really it is) that my bro bought me to help support the ankle. However, since I really lost a substantial amount of weight, it hasn't twisted or given out which is its usual modus operandis (I can't spell but you get the point) and always occurs at the most inconvient times. You know, there might be something to this whole losing weight and getting healthier plan of mine after all.

No comments: