Tuesday, July 20, 2004

When the world gets wacky

So, I have been reading all sorts of raves in the blogsphere about Old Navy's new plus sized clothing. I went and looked at the website while I was trying to decide what I was writing about tonight in my own blog. Some cute things, but this is where the universe has been getting wacky since I last seriously shopped. I looked at the size chart because it was there, and the plus sized clothes are all too big for me. No, really, I was boggled by this realization that some retailers no longer consider me to be plus-sized, and in fact at a size 14 who is slowly approaching a size 12, I am not really plus-sized anymore. See, losing the weight is a lot easier than getting your mind to adjust to the reality of a new universe around you. On some level, my brain is aware of the fact that I now buy clothing at Banana Republic and not Lane Bryant but it is not really sinking in deeply yet. My jeans are Levis, not Venezia (my favorite plus-sized clothing line), I have to buy petite clothing because everything else is cut too long but it still isn't registering. So, I was frankly boggled by the realization that I could just walk into Old Navy and buy regular people clothes rather than the plus sized line, not mind you that I have walked into an Old Navy in a long time but I could if so moved. As the plethora of new plus sized clothing increases, I am inching farther and farther away from being the target demographic, and I am not planning on going back any time soon. So, glad as I am that there are affordable options for people who need and frankly deserve clothing in plus-sizes, you will find me at Banana Republic wondering if I really belong there but buying the clothing that fits anyway. I will do it because I can and that is a luxury I never thought I would have at the begining of this year of change. What a wacky wonderful world I am living in today.

No comments: