Wednesday, August 11, 2004

My unholy love for the food network

I am so not coherent today that I just posted a huge post that was not what I came here to write about today. Not that this is a bad thing but I keep forgeting to post about this topic and I mean to do so. Anyway, I love the Food Network and watch it all the time. I mean what is not to love about a network that devotes entire hours to barbeques or the invention and perfection of ice cream. Now, while I help my father barbeque (or more appropriately grill but I won't bore you with the distinction between grilling and barbequeing) I don't eat ice cream anymore or make most of the foods this network discusses in detail. However, I love the concept of the food network, the idea that cooking is a noble endeavour and making food is often better than eating out. Okay, maybe this isn't exactly their concept but more mine, however I think part of the reason Americans have gotten so fat as a group is that we don't make food anymore. Not really, everything is processed or microwaveable in five minutes. People forget about what truly fresh simple ingredients taste like when properly prepared by hand. My favorite example? The best salad ever which I have made ever since I was a kid, sliced mozzarella di buffalo cheese with fresh tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt and pepper and lightly doused in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The best dish ever, and while not necessarily lo cal depending on how much cheese you use, still a lovely filling evening meal which can be prepared in five minutes and enjoyed immensely. The only really processed thing is the cheese and at one point in time that was done by hand by italian grandmothers (okay now it is probably made in a factory), anyway this process isn't like the artificial foods we usually eat. This is why I love the food network, they simplify the making of food and inspire us (okay maybe just me) to cook at home and avoid fast food. This has to be a good thing and so far it is working (at least for me). Anyway, I'm off to see what the food network is talking about now, I need good healthy dinner ideas.

No comments: